Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Blog Post #1 - Top 5 News Sources

1. Friends & Family
My friends and family are my main source of news and information. They have always been the people to text me first when something happens, and are constantly keeping me in the loop of any major changes. I am normally busy during the school day, and on weekends with work, so I typically miss any life-altering news that goes on, or I do not see it until the end of the day. That text from my friends and family allows me to get the news fast, so I can stay up to date with things. For people who have a busier lifestyle and have loved ones in their life that are up to date with current events, this feels like a no brainer. I am able to receive all of the information I need, with out having to do the research myself.


2. Instagram

I am constantly scrolling on my phone, for work purposes or not, I follow accounts of the teams that I want to hear about, as well as their leagues. My feed is filled with news about trades, scores, player updates and many more. These posts are also found throughout my explore page, making them the headlines, and they stand out when I go to search for new posts. I like this form because it just shows up in my day to day life. I do not need to put in any extra research for this information, but it is placed in my hands, literally. I think that Instagram is a great source of news for people who are on their phones regardless of what their days may look like. Although it may not always be a reliable source, it is a good stepping stone into looking deeper into new information. 


With the wordle and the other NYT games, the New York Times has started to be a regular outlet that I use for news. After I finish playing my games for the day, I will go and look at the trending stories and see what is new in the world. If it were not for these games, I would not look at the NYT nearly as much. For me, the reason I find myself going back to the New York Times over and over again is the convenience factor. It is right there when I finish the games, and only takes me a small amount of time to view these stories. I would tell people who play the NYT games to also look into the news, because it is easy and accessible. 
Using an apple phone has led me to read more news than I would have thought. I personally keep my notifications for the news turned on, so when there are big headlines, they pop up on my home screen. It allows me to get a sense for what is going on in the country, or even my community, with no extra work towards myself. There are different sections at the top where I can pick something that I find that peaks my interests. It'll give me a brief rundown of the story, which then allows me to click further if I want to know more. The reason that Apple News works so well for me too is that my Dad sends me news articles weekly. This small app on my phone allows my Dad to connect with me in a different way that we would not get to before. This is a simple way to stay up to date with current affairs, with no extra effort put into it. 

5. ESPN 
For me, ESPN is used similarly to Instagram, but I use it a little less often. ESPN notifications pop up on my phone all day long, sometimes stories and other times just score updates. All of these notifications lead me to sometimes silence what is going on, until their is a game I truly care about. Nonetheless, these notifications typically involve major events outside of games. It will talk about social issues within sport along with if any players get into any incidents off the field. When I go on the app, there is also a spot for where the new stories sit, making it really easily accessible to me. For anyone who is involved in the sports world, ESPN is an easy way to access news, as long as the excess of updates do not become an issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment