Thursday, September 3, 2026

Eight Values of Free Expression : My Most Valued Ones

For me, the most important Value of Free Expression would be the fourth one: Individual Self-Fulfillment, better known as Self-Actualization. This allows people to express themselves and create their own identity through the freedom of speech. 

C Edwin Baker
Through Human Liberty and Freedom of Speech, by C Edwin Baker, the different aspects of the first amendment allow for a balance and help to mark where the beginning of self-expression can begin. With this idea, truth is also something that can be found, rather than it being set in one place. Due to this, individual self fulfillment looks different for each person going through it. 

The reason why this resonates with me most is because I find it very important in my future career. I want to work within the sports media industry, more specifically with photo, video, and social media. 

Currently, I work with High Point Athletics, being monitored by our department for the things I am allowed to post, but on my personal account, I have full creative freedom. 

Working in this field, I feel that having these two separate accounts is very important. One is for a team, a private organization where they are looking for a specific outcome and marketing strategy. The other is my personal expression, of whatever I am feeling at that moment.
 
Personal Photo Account
The personal posts I make can tell a story about a team, myself, or the people and climate that I was surrounded by at the time. 

Having this creative freedom allows me to do whatever it is that I want. I am not following any rules set by a company or team, but rather it is what I am doing at the moment.
 
If I did not have individual self-fulfillment, I would not be able to be able to express myself in the way that I felt was most needed. Without self-actualization, I would struggle to show off my work, what it is that I do, and why I love it so much. 

Going with this, I find the 7th value of free expression incredibly important as well. It is to promote innovation, meaning that in a community where free speech is prioritized, there is more liveliness and opportunity for the individuals in it. 
 
Jack Balkin
This value comes from Jack Balkin in his book, Living Originalism. It goes into further detail about how generationally, the constitution is viewed differently and how everyone has their own “constitutional constructions.” 
 
I find that innovation and the ability to create new ideas so important to my craft. New trends come up every day, and to stay on trend is what makes an account relevant, and it helps to build an audience. 

Both of these values put together create what I find is most important when it comes to my future. Individual Self-Fulfillment and promoting innovation are two ideas that push me forwards in the sports media field each and everyday. 

I do what I do because I love it, and it is a part of who I am. If I did not have that option to myself in the workplace, creating new ideas and fun ways to project content, then I would not be going into this field.

No comments:

Post a Comment